Feb 17, 2010

SPELT RIGHT!

Okay, now I'm just being a smart-alick! With one or two feeble attempts at bread making under my belt, using recipes that are so incredibly simple a child could do them. I'm on my second batch of whole grain spelt bread, and this time it even looks a little bit like a loaf. I have to say, this is good bread. Dense but moist, and best when toasted, it beats the heck out of having enriched white flour for breakfast every day. This stuff is hearty and it stays with you through the morning. Yesterday I had a piece of it with scrambled Egg Beaters, and I was full for many hours. Perfect!
Of course we had to try it on the Panini grill, and as you can plainly see, it too was a huge success. Sis is talking about getting a bread maker, but why go to the expense when you have me? Next I'll be getting into the Graham flour and with it, will try my hand at muffin making! Very exciting, no? I'm not board or anything, why would you ask?
Here's the recipe in case you too have a little time on your hands:

Be prepared, the Spelt flour is a little expensive, around $6.00 for a 2lb bag, but we pay $3.00 for an average loaf of Artisan bread, and this recipe makes two loafs, so it works out to be about the same.

Ingredients:
8 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 tbls molasses
2 tsp baking soda
4 1/4 cups milk
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sesame seeds, salt, molasses, baking soda and milk until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven or until golden. That's it.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy Keri! I'll just try some of yours:) Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? My word verification is set to "NO" for your convenience. You're welcome!